1st August 2022 - Late summer and garden struggles

Porch plants.

August has arrived, and finally we have a delivery date for the greenhouse. This Wednesday it will be installed and then my peppers, chillis and aubergines can be evicted from the porch (it does look nice with the greenery in there though). In amongst the harvesting and late sowings, thoughts already turn to winter preparations and plans for next year's growing season. Thinking about what worked and what didn't, and what new things we'd like to try, all gardeners live simultaneously in the past, present and future. 

Where we are in Greater London, the late spring and summer have been hot and dry. Although it has been lovely to enjoy the summer sunshine, it's sad to see plants struggling and the garden looking so parched. It has however shown me that I want to continue with no dig principles, as those areas of the garden that were well mulched with rotted manure or compost, particularly the veg patch, have thrived with much less attention and watering than other areas of the garden. 

My first tomatoes are starting to change colour and today I finally got around to planting my seed potatoes in sacks for Christmas harvesting. Twelve sacks, each with five potatoes in, plus two sacks of late carrots sown, and a big pot with rhubarb chard and golden chard. Phew, what a morning. 

Maris Peer and Charlotte potatoes, plus carrots.

I'm currently debating the merits of trying to overwinter some onions, spurred on of course by the fact that I just love buying and sowing seeds...

We have some more big plans for the garden in autumn/winter, including the secret garden area where the spud sacks are currently residing, one for next post perhaps. I'd love to know what you're planting and planning at the moment, let me know in the comments.

Happy gardening. 

Heather


Comments

Popular Posts