9th May 2022 - Tree following Mulberry 'Black Lady'

After a lacklustre April, May is finally warming up and giving us some much needed sunshine and the trees are all coming to life. 

As I mentioned in my post about my fruit trees, I've decided to join the Tree Following movement and have chosen my potted Mulberry 'Black Lady' to follow - you can find out all about tree following and follow some other beautiful trees here

Mulberry 'Black Lady' - three years old

We have a line of potted fruit trees in terracotta pots down one side of the patio, creating a visual boundary between the patio and the rose garden. The rest of the rose garden is surrounded by trellis/fence and climbers but we didn't want the patio to feel too closed in so a tree screen is a perfect compromise. Currently we have the mulberry, a fig, a cherry on dwarf rootstock and a patio quince. Next year I'm planning to add an apricot and a nectarine. 

Clusters of new leaves

Deeply lobed leaves on the mulberry


I love growing unusual or heritage varieties of trees, flowers, fruit and vegetables and I bought the mulberry as an anniversary present for my husband a few years ago. It has a much more compact habit than other mulberries, and is designed to be grown in a container, and should fruit earlier (four to five years rather than 10+). It is a very sweet little tree-let at the moment. No blossom, but beautifully shaped young leaves. I'm looking forward to watching it grow. 


Happy gardening.

Comments

  1. Neat ... I know nothing about mulberries, and look forward to learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens to it through the year. Sometimes when I'm gardening I miss out on the details when looking at the big picture!

      Delete
  2. Welcome to tree following. Good post and pictures, and I've never seen a container mulberry before so it'll be interesting to follow it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was new to me too but I love an unusual variety and an experiment.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for joining us on the tree following platform!
    I look forward to learning more about the mulberry - very pretty-shaped leaves.
    All the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the warm welcome. Hopefully I can impart what I learn as I go!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts