26th April 2022 - Anticipation and impatience

My 24 seed potatoes are in. The first earlies
are sprouting well already

We had guests on Saturday, and were guests elsewhere on Sunday so the only gardening that took place was yesterday evening when our gardener-in-training (our 17 month old daughter) insisted on doing some gardening with her little hand tools before agreeing to eat her dinner. We're cultivating her own patch for her but its not ready for her to start scrabbling in just yet.

Her current favourite job is watering

With that in mind I thought I'd just share what the garden is looking like today after a weekend of sun, wind and cool evenings. It was a grey day yesterday but the garden in spring is always a cheery sight and today has been much sunnier. I also took the opportunity to plant our new plum tree. It is a two year old Czar. We chose it as an homage to my parents' 30 something year old Czar plum tree which has recently suffered severe storm damage. As we were planning to plant a plum anyway, it seemed a good omen to be able to get it in the ground just before the end of bare root planting season.

Anyway, on to the photos. So much is happening in the garden at this time of year and I'm pretty impatient with it all. I don't want to wish the year away but I wish I was picking raspberries already!

Plum Czar in its new home


Gooseberry bushes and summer raspberries behind

New big bed for grasses, sun lovers and sculptural plants

The tree peony is finally starting to emerge. What a colour!

Happy gardening.

Heather

Comments

Popular Posts