19th April 2022 - Fruit trees


Cherry 'Morello' planted autumn 2020

I thought I would introduce you to my garden via my fruit trees.

For me, no garden is complete without at least one fruit tree. They give at least three seasons of interest, they are wonderful for visiting wildlife, and we can enjoy them throughout the year, culminating in eating their bounty.

I am lucky enough to have 16 fruit trees currently planted, and with several more to be added in the autumn of this year.

Sibley's Patio Quince just flowering

I love to plant unusual fruits or heritage varieties, things that you can't get from the local shop or supermarket. 

I have fruit trees in pots and in the ground and I get so much pleasure from watching them spring into life each year as they are doing at the moment. 

Here is a list of the fruit trees I have currently (which will also help me remember in years to come I hope):

Damson 'Merryweather'
Apple 'Dawn'
Apple 'Norfolk Biffin'
Apple (suspected 'Beauty of Bath' but planted long before our time)
Cherry 'Hertford'
Pear (no idea of the variety but seems to be a culinary variety, sadly dying and will need to be removed this year)
Crab apple 'Royal Beauty' (weeping)
Crab apple 'Rosehip' x 2
Quince 'Serbian Gold'
Quince 'Sibley's Patio'
Medlar 'Royal'
Mulberry 'Black Lady'
Cherry 'Merton Glory'
Cherry 'Morello'

The beautiful old pear in its final spring

I've also decided to join the 'Tree following' movement hosted by SquirrelBasket. As I'm a little late to the party this year, I will be following my potted mulberry 'Black Lady' as it is just beginning to open its leaf buds so should be in full swing by the beginning of next month.

Happy gardening. 

Heather

Comments

Popular Posts