7th June 2022 - Tree following


Mulberry 'Black lady'

My mulberry tree is looking happy and healthy in full leaf. You can see the new green growth from the older brown stems. Is anyone else as impatient as me when it comes to young trees and plants? I've planted a few herbs around it, but I'll probably move these herbs in the autumn and stick to annual herbs in there such as French tarragon, parsley, coriander and so on just to avoid too much competition. 

Sage, thyme and chives

Alongside gardening, I write, so today I'd like to share a poem about trees to celebrate tree following. I hope you get to spend some time in the company of trees today.

Berries on the rowan for the first time

Looking up into the branches of the rowan


Silver birch

Beautiful bark on the birch

The power of trees 
Ancient goddess of the tree
Goddess of the dell.
With your fruit, and leaf and bark,
Keep and serve us well.
 
Goddess of the snow-white birch,
Bend and bow and wave,
A potion of your pretty bark,
From all our fears can save.
 
Goddess of the rowan strong,
Your berry and your flower,
Bring mistle thrush alive with song
And weaken evil’s power.
 
Goddess of the ash grown deep,
Your gifts are from above.
Upon your leaves we fall asleep,
And wake to luck and love.
 
Goddess of the alder bough
You grant an entryway.
A door to faerie-land allow,
But guard us from bad fay.
 
Goddess of the willow whip,
Bring forth all grief and care.
At water edge we worship
And deepest feelings share.
 
Goddess of the hawthorn clean,
In May your flowers bloom.
For thee we crown our blossom queen,
And purity assume.
 
Goddess of the mighty oak,
Your life is long and true.
Your wood burns warm without cruel smoke,
And strengthens us anew.
 
Goddess of the holly green,
Protect us all year round.
Your prickles are the densest screen,
And berries red abound.
 
Goddess of the hazel straight,
With nut and catkin hang.
Your harvest bountiful but late,
And ripe with wisdom sprang.
 
Goddess of the dripping vine,
Thee balance dark and light,
And fill our cups with faerie wine,
To warm us all the night.
 
Goddess of the ivy rope,
Binding all together,
Pull us from despair to hope,
And hold us safe forever.
 
Goddess of the wailing reed,
Speak and speak aloud,
Take our message, hear us plead,
To those in dusted shroud.
 
Goddess of the Elder tree,
The year is at an end.
Though life has set sweet spirits free,
May death be as a friend.

Happy gardening. 

Heather

Comments

  1. Good post and poem. I'm lucky as there are trees outside at home, and on the allotments so always have them for company. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't have too many trees! My husband might disagree as I try and talk him into planting more and more.

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a wonderful poem! It reminds me a bit of the old Oak and Ash and Thorn song, but much better and deeper. I may "cut out and keep" that one to read again and again.
    I love your pictures, too - especially the angle you have caught the rowan tree leaves.
    Thank you for joining us - I look forward to more words and pictures from you.
    All the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so kind of you. I'm glad you enjoyed it. July got away from me, so hard not to spend all one's time in the garden! But I'm looking forward to catching up on the blog. Hopefully you'll enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts